I think it’s about time I post this recipe. Banana cake with coconut. This is one of my favorites cakes that I’ve been making for years. It’s not just extremely delicious but super easy (all you need is 2 bowls and a whisk), quick and – healthy! Yes, healthy. And being pregnant (almost 6 months!) I’m always glad to have something for my sweet tooth to snack on that is not making me feel too guilty. And it is soo good, too – super moist, soft and fluffy.
The original recipe of this cake is by Lauren of Lauren’s Latest and I made a few adjustments over the years. Like adding coconut, increasing the amount of apple sauce and using oat flour instead of regular flour (for all gluten allergy sufferers – this is gluten-free!).
I usually bake this cake in either a loaf pan or a 8 by 8 inch baking dish. This time I decided to use a 6 inch cake pan to get a high round cake but I had to increase the baking time quite a bit. So I recommend using a loaf pan or 8 by 8 inch pan, or, if you want a round cake, use a 8 inch round cake pan. You also need a piping bag and a [easyazon_link asin=”B0000VM47Q” locale=”US” new_window=”default” tag=”sugbut02-20″]large round tip[/easyazon_link] to decorate the cake.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1.5 cups oat flour (or all purpose flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 335°F / 190°C. Spray an 8×8 square dish or a 8 inch round cake pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except for the sugar. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and applesauce together. Mash the bananas with a folk and mix into the wet ingredients. Add the shredded coconut. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Pour into your greased dish and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted (Depending on your oven and the form you are using it might take a little longer, if you decide to cake the cake in a 6 inch form, you will have to bake it for about 60 minutes). Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese, honey and sugar with an electric mixer until well combined and creamy.
- Scoop the frosting in a piping bag with a large round tip attached and decorate the cake.