Sometimes I am just craving a simple good old muffin. And chocolate, of course, is always the best, so triple chocolate – even better! These little guys are loaded not just with cocoa powder, dark chocolate bits and chocolate streusel, but also a fruity surprise: fresh blackberries. What a combo!
Pregnant as I am, I’m trying to trick a little bit when it comes to sweets. To make them (a little tiny bit) healthier. I already posted this healthy Banana Cake with Coconut a little while ago. So I prepared these muffins with whole wheat flour. Not just because it’s healthier, but because it really brings out the chocolate flavor and gives them a much richer, fuller taste!
I also recommend sprinkling some of your left over chopped chocolate over the warm muffins. It gives them an extra load of melted chocolate on top and I promise you, they will be d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
- FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 0.5 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 5 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup blackberries
- FOR THE STREUSEL:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 370°F / 190°C and line a muffin pan with muffin papers.
- For the crumbles: Knead together the melted butter, flour, sugar and cocoa powder until well combined.
- For the muffins: Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and beat for another minute, then add the buttermilk and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir slowly until just combined. Carefully fold in most of the chopped chocolate and the blackberries.
- Fill the batter into your muffin forms, filling them completely full. Sprinkle the streusel and some chopped chocolate on top and bake for about 20 mins.