This is such a classic, Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. That’s why this divine cold treat cannot be left out of my vanilla bean series. The recipe consists of nothing more than whole eggs and egg yolks, sugar, vanilla bean and cream and milk (I used half and half instead). The result: Velvety ice cream with the richest and purest vanilla flavor. So get your ice cream maker ready and lets start, spring is just around the corner!
In case you missed my other vanilla bean recipes, here you go:
- 2 cups half and half
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- Cut the vanilla bean lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Bring half and half, sugar, vanilla bean seeds and empty vanilla bean to a boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks by hand.
- Place the bowl over a double boiler and pour the vanilla cream mixture into the egg mixture while stirring constantly.
- Stir the vanilla mix for about 5 minutes until it reaches 170°F / 80°C.
- Remove the vanilla bean and let the mixture cool down in the refrigerator until it is cold enough for your ice cream machine.
- Prepare the ice cream according to your machine's instructions.