Rhubarb and Strawberry Ice Cream with Vanilla Bean
Rhubarb and strawberry – such a classic and my favorite flavors of summer. Rhubarb and strawberry ice cream, even better. Now if you throw in some vanilla bean, I’m definitely in heaven!
So I made this rhubarb strawberry ice cream with vanilla bean a little while ago and I love it. Loved it! I will definitely make it again very soon, maybe for the 4th of July? It would make the perfect dessert for any 4th of July BBQ and it is so easy to prepare! It is definitely an ice cream recipe you will keep. It is so simple and yet so unbelievable tasty. And no egg yolks, this recipe is egg free. The secret is whipped cream. It makes the ice cream so incredibly smooth, creamy and silky and so easy to scoop, you would not believe how simple it is. And you can switch the strawberry and rhubarb for pretty much anything. Any type of fruit, coconut, caramel or… maybe Nutella?
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 sticks rhubarb
- 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Peel, wash and cut the rhubarb. In a saucepan, cook the rhubarb and the granulated sugar until the rhubarb is soft, for about 10 mins.
- Puree the rhubarb and set aside.
- Set aside half of the strawberry puree.
- Whip the cream with your hand mixer until fluffy but not stiff.
- Add the inside of a vanilla bean and sift in the powdered sugar, blend.
- Add the strawberry puree and the rhubarb puree with your mixer running on low speed.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and prepare ice cream according to the instructions of your machine.
- When the ice cream is done, add the rest of the strawberry puree and blend just slightly for about 30 seconds to achieve a marbled effect.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.