White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Buttercream
So, it’s been a little quiet on my blog lately after having a sweet little baby girl earlier last month but I am slowly but surely returning to the oven! Emphasis on slowly… I sure do have my hands full right now but I just cannot stop baking. No way. Just look at these gorgeous little white chocolate cupcakes, and the beautiful light green buttercream, yum! The cupcakes are divine and taste so much of white chocolate, you almost don’t even need the pistachio buttercream. Almost.
I am also so excited about these cute cupcake wrappers from Bella Cupcake Couture! I used the black and white stripe cupcake wrappers, which go so well with the green pistachio buttercream. Check them out, they got tons of different designs!Print
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 5 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup pistachios, very finely ground (almost paste-like)
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Slowly melt the white chocolate over a double boiler.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir together the milk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the chocolate. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk mixture in 2 additions, and mix until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cups.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Make the buttercream: Beat the egg whites until foamy, add the cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, then add the granulated sugar. On high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff and glossy, about 2-3 minutes.
- With the paddle attachment and the mixer on medium speed, add the butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the powdered sugar and turn the mixer on high speed. Beat the buttercream until light and fluffy, then add the pistachios and food color and keep beating for another 1-2 minutes.