Banana Cake with Pecans & Walnuts (GF)
This super quick and easy banana cake with pecans and walnuts is gluten-free (made with almond and oat flour) and a healthier version of a comfort cake – just what we all need now that fall is soooo close! This is one of my all time favorite cakes and I’ve been making it for years now. It’s everything you want in a cake: fluffy, moist and airy. And with warm spices like cinnamon, ginger, all-spice and nutmeg – paired with the pecans and walnuts – it is just perfect for this time of year. Which of course does not stop me from making it all year long… oh no, if you just leave out those spices, this cake will make a great addition to a summer picnic.
There’s that sweet little hand again. My daughter loves this cake (which kid doesn’t love banana cake?) and I really love the fact that it is healthier than regular cake and I don’t have to worry about her eating a bunch of junk. Definitely a very kid-friendly cake! In fact, even the recipe is so easy that kids can bake it, my daughter loves to help me make it, adding all the ingredients, stirring, pouring, and before I know it she’ll be making it on her own.
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 F and grease or line a 8×8 baking pan.
- Grind the pecans and walnuts in a food processor for about 1 minute, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, excluding the sugar, set aside
- In a different bowl, beat the sugar and eggs for about 1-2 mins. Add apple sauce, vanilla, and coconut oil, keep beating.
- Add the mashed banana and mix until combined, then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients just until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour the batter in the prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 mins, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Let the cake cool down just a little bit and serve.