Summer vibes are still going strong here in Texas! I’ve been super into lemons and honey this year – for whatever reason – but I have been making honey lemonade on a regular basis and been cooking and baking with honey a ton lately. So after making this super yummy Honey Lemon Curd last week (refined sugar free), I needed to put it to good use… other than spreading it on toast, or, um, spooning it out of the jar. So since a coffee cake was way overdue here, I decided on this (gluten-free) Lemon Curd & Almond Coffee Cake. The recipe is easily turned paleo for anyone interested, simply replace all sugar with either coconut sugar or maple sugar.
The cake itself is made of 100% blanched almond flour (no other starches or flours used) which makes it super moist and gives it an intense almond flavor. The cake batter is covered with a whole cup of this Honey Lemon Curd before baking, and topped with almond flour and lemon crumbs. SO. GOOD. And by the way, if you are looking for another gluten-free, almond flour coffee cake, check out this Rhubarb Almond Cake I made last year.
I haven’t baked as much as I wanted and had planned this summer and I guess it’s more than time to make it public here as well: we are expecting baby girl #2 in November! So while we are super excited, I am also super tired… and have lots of things spinning around in my head, other than baking. But I am hoping for lots of postpartum energy in December because I have a ton of Christmas cookie and cake recipes planned, haha!
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup melted butter (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup sugar (or coconut sugar)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ vanilla bean (or1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- ⅔ cups sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2.5 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup homemade lemon curd
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper on the bottom for easy removal.
- Make the crumb topping by blending all ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until a texture is crumbly, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon juice and zest, coconut oil, vanilla, and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour and baking soda.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet until well combined and smooth.
- Using a silicone spatula, transfer cake batter into the parchment lined cake pan and smooth out evenly.
- Using a tablespoon, dollop the lemon curd over the cake batter and spread, leaving ½” around the perimeter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping all over the top to cover completely, then bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 mins until cake is set in the center.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.