Everyone should have a quick and easy chocolate sheet cake recipe on hand and this one is my absolute favorite. Why? Because it has a rich chocolate flavor, is suuuuuper easy, has simple ingredients, and the texture is super spongey and fluffy. Which is not always the case with one-bowl cake recipes. And best of all, I swapped the brown sugar for muscovado sugar and I am telling you, I am never going back! I also added some cinnamon and a hint of cardamom… I just can’t help it this time of year!
What is Muscovado Sugar?
That is a very good question since this is not a very common sugar and not found in every grocery store. Muscovado sugar is one of the least refined sugars available. While the ‘regular’ dark or light brown sugar is processed white sugar that has been mixed with molasses, muscovado sugar is unrefined cane sugar that still contains natural molasses. This high molasses content gives the sugar its superior flavor with hints of toffee and a slightly bitter aftertaste. It has a rich brown color and moist texture. Its rich, distinct flavor goes well with other rich flavors such as gingerbread, coffee, chocolate cakes and fudge – which is why I love using it in this spiced chocolate cake.
If you can’t find it at your local grocery store, check it out online!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups muscovado sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1 cup hot coffee (or water)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients. Stir in eggs, melted butter and buttermilk.
- Add hot coffee or water; stir until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Frost cake. If desired, decorate with sprinkles.