Summer has just started but I think we all need some comfort food right now. This banana cake with salted peanut butter frosting is exactly what we need and I am telling you, this frosting is ADDICTIVE. Creamy, salty, and sweet! I am not the biggest fan of buttercream frostings but this one right here I could eat by the spoonful. It pairs perfectly with the banana cake and makes me think of peanut butter sandwiches with sliced banana!
I used creamy salted peanut butter and I highly recommend it for this recipe. Chunky peanut butter just would not work in the buttercream, and it really does need the salt. In fact, I even added more by using Challenge Dairy’s salted butter! SO good.
What makes this cake so delicious is not only the salted creamy peanut butter, but also the fresh Challenge cream cheese. I love their cream cheese because it does not contain any preservatives or flavors, and is made from milk free of the synthetic hormone rBST. Challenge is a cooperative association of more than 600 family-owned dairies in California and has been making butter for more than 100 years! Check out their butter and cream cheese at your local grocery store and grab a coupon on their website.Print
FOR THE CAKE
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted Challenge butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, mashed
FOR THE FROSTING
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Beat the sugar, butter, and eggs in a stand mixer for about 1-2 mins. Add apple sauce and vanilla and keep beating.
- Add the mashed banana and mix until combined.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and baking powder just until well combined.
- Pour the batter in a greased round 9 inch cake pan and bake for about 30-35 mins until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for at least 2 hours.
- To make the frosting, beat the softened butter, powdered sugar and milk until fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and peanut butter and beat for another 3-4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Spread about half of the frosting over the cake and put the remaining frosting in a piping bag with a large tip. Decorate the top of the cake as shown in picture.