Popcorn Pie Pops with Salty Caramel
I have to admit that I have never ever before ate or made any pie pops. Never! But how could I? I definitely missed out on something! So I just had to finally give it a try. I have also been wanting to bake something with popcorn for a while and then, one day, it dawned on me: Pie pops filled with salty caramel popcorn! And what can I say, they are a-mazing. I ate FIVE pie pops right off the sheet before they even cooled down… couldn’t help it.
I have this really easy, and really good pie crust recipe. To make two large pies, all you have to remember is 4, 2, 1: 400 g flour, 200 g butter, 100 ml water. Just divide the previous ingredient in half. Since this amount of dough would have made around 40 pie pops though, I split the ingredients for this recipe in half. You can use the 4, 2, 1 amount if you want and make an extra pie, as I usually do. Roll out your dough, press it into a pie pan and put it in the freezer! It keeps great and whenever you want to make pie, you have a ready made, homemade pie crust at hand without having to go through the whole mess of making dough again (unless you enjoy it as much as I do and don’t mind ;)).
The ultimate combination of popcorn and salted caramel united in a bite size crunchy pie pop!
- FOR THE PIE CRUST:
- 200 g flour
- 100 g cold butter (remove from fridge 20 min before)
- 50 ml cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups popcorn (popped)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup “half and half” or cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cut your cold butter into cubes.
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl and carefully mix in the butter cubes with a folk or a pastry blender.
- Add the cold water and keep blending.
- Then use your hands and carefully blend the dough with your hands, but not more than 2 minutes. The dough should be dry and flaky.
- Form a ball and refrigerate for 30 min.
- While the dough is resting, chop your popped popcorn until all pieces are about the size of lentils.
- To make the caramel sauce: Mix all your ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook while stirring for about 8 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Set aside and let it cool for about 5 minutes, then mix it in with the popcorn (leave some popcorn aside to sprinkle on the pie pops later).
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 180°C. and whisk together the egg yolk and milk to make some egg wash.
- Remove the dough from your fridge and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Using a flower shaped cookie cutter (or a round one), cut as many pieces as possible.
- Press the remaining dough together, refrigerate for 10 mins and repeat.
- Place your ovenproof (!) cake pop sticks on the little pies, top it with your filling, brush some egg wash on the edges and cover with a second layer of dough. Using a folk, or a thoothpick, slightly press together the edges of your pie pops to seal them.
- Brush the top of the pops with egg wash and sprinkle some of the remaining popcorn on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until light golden brown, remove them from the oven and let them cool!